Trip Planner
Trip planner

2Days 1Night :  Lampang - Lamphun

Planner :
Lampang 1 Day , Lamphun 1 Day
Period :
2 Days 1 Night
Category :
Arts, cultural & heritage, Nightlife & entertainment, Thai food & drink, Nature, beaches & islands, New experiences,adventure & off-the-beaten-track,
  • Day 1
    June 16
  • Day 2
    June 17
Day 1 : Lampang

Ratchadapisek Bridge

Ratchadapisek Bridge (or the white bridge) is located on Ratchada Road, Amphoe Muang. Originally, it was a wooden bridge that the ruler of Lampang old city “Chao Noranan Chaichaowalit” together with his citizens had built to commemorate Phrabat Somdet Phra Chula Chomklao Chaoyuhua (King Rama V) ’s Anniversary of his 25th year Accession to the Throne in 1894. The bridge was considered the biggest bridge in Thailand, since it was 120 meters long. Assuming that the name “Ratchadapisek” has come from the purpose of its construction to offer the bridge as a memorial for King Rama V’s Accession to the Throne Ceremony. The king himself had bestowed the name “Ratchadapisek” to this bridge as well.            Ratchada Bridge has collapsed, then renovated 3 times since it could not tolerate the collision from a large number of logs during the flood season. The first time, it fell in 1901. The second time, it was built in iron-wood structure. No evidences of the finishing date were found, only some proof from Krom Yotathikarn (Public Work Department) showed that Phra Chao Lookyater Krommuen Nakornchaisi Suradech had presided over the Bridge Opening Ceremony on January 17th 1905. The second bridge collapsed in 1915. For the third round of the construction, engineers from Ministry of Transportation viewed that it must be built by concrete for a long-term solid structure. King Monkut (King Rama VI) agreed on its third-round construction. Therefore, Ratchadapisek Bridge was completely finished in 1917.            Ratchada Bridge is a contemporary bridge that merges the present and the glorious train era. It has witnessed world war I, and world war II. Importantly, the bridge has survived through bombing of the Allies by camouflage painting, and by the claim of Mrs. Lucy Scarling (the former director of Wicha Naree School, and Adviser of the Allies), who affirmed that the bridge had no significance as a strategic point for the country.            Ratchadapisek is an iron-concrete bridge painted white, looking outstandingly attractive with 4 bow-shaped curves. It stands tall on Mae Wang river as a landmark of Lampang until nowadays.yle='mso-bookmark: _GoBack'>Once arrive at Wat Pong Yang Khok, the ubosot can be seen immediately. The building is relatively new. The Phra Mae Chao Chamdhevi Vihan is an important attraction at the temple. The vihan is not large compared to those of other temples. The building houses an ancient mondop which was built during the same period. Inside the mondop is situated a statue of Phra Mae Chao Chamdhevi, to which Lampang people always come pay respect.  As history goes, Phra Mae Chao Chamdhevi, Queen of Hariphunchai (Lamphun) came to visit her son, King Anantayod, who was the governor of Lampang. During the trip to Phra That Lampang Luang for gold offering, the royal elephant all of a sudden stopped and bowed down. The queen was amazed and decided to past a night at the spot. During the night, she prayed for miracle to happen provided that the place was dwelled with holy spirits. As soon as her words ended, a bright halo of Buddha relics radiated from an anthill. The queen then had a vihan built at the hill, together with the mondop, singha statues, Gu Jang Nop (Elephant Bowing Vihan) and an arch entrance.  The Sasi Tree (the Great Bodhi Tree) was also planted. The temple was name ‘Wat Pong Jang Nop’ which, after hundreds of years, became ‘Wat Pong Yang Khok’ as known in the present. Wat Pong Yang Khok received the 2000 award of outstanding preservation from Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn at the ‘Artchitect ’00’ event.       ichong_np13@hotmail.com, eserve@dnp.go.th

Read more

Detail

1 Min. ( Approx. 0.57 Km.)

Kat Kong Ta

Kat Kong Ta Kat Kong Ta, or TalatCheen, is an old market in Lampang. Located near RatsadaPisek Bridge, Kat Kong Ta is one of the important landmarks for art lovers Lampang. In the northern Thai dialect, the name Kat Kong Ta means the market near the pier. (Kat is a market and Kong Ta means a pier.) Situated on the bank of Wang River, the market can be dated back to the reign of King Rama V or around 1877.In the old days, Kat Tong Ka was a hub filled with merchants from many countries such as Thailand, China, Myanmar and western countries. This contributes to the various type of architecture found in the market. There are Thai Lanna, Burmese, Chinese, and western architectures which are as old as 100 years. The buildings, preserved and passed on to generations, make Kat Tong Ka a lovely vintage place that attracts a lot of visitors. Besides the architecture, Kat Tong Ka also offers a wide range of interesting goods. Local and handmade products can be found here. Moreover, don’t miss those delicious local dishes such as KanomCheen Nam Ngew, Miang Kham, Khai Pam, and Thong Muan Sod. Also, grabbing some nice gifts for your friends and family back home and watching the shows in the market would be great ideas.Kat Tong Ka opens only from 5 p.m. – 10 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. However, if you want to go sightseeing around the market, you can visit the market in the morning. Starting from Lampang city, visitors can drive along Ratsada Road and cross Ratsada Bridge to Kat Kong Ta. It is highly recommended to start the walk at Kat Tong Ka Walking Street to absorb the vintage atmosphere that the market offers you. 

Read more

Detail

3 Min. ( Approx. 2.33 Km.)

Wat Mon Phraya Chae

WatMon Phraya ChaePhra That Mon Phraya Chaeand Wat Mon Phraya Chae are located at 279 Mu 1, Mueang district, Lampang province. Wat Mon Phraya Chae is on a high mountain called Mon Kai Khia or DoiYatsakitti or KhelangBanphot in Phichai sub-district, Mueang district, Lampang province. It was built in 1810 and was granted consecrated boundaries on 24 January 1958 under the MahaNikaya sect. The temple is one of the important religious sites in Lampang. As it is quiet, shady and changeable according to each season, particularly in the rainy season, in which moss is widely found, it is suitable for relaxation. In addition, it is not far from Lampang town. It is also home to many famous places as below:  1.Phra That Mon Phraya Chae and the ordination hall are located on a high mountain with 585 stairs.2.NongSong Phi Nong consists of two ponds that are sacred located on the hillside below Phra That. Water in the ponds is not dry throughout the year.3.BannaSalaSuphromRangsi (5th hermit who takes care of Phra That Mon Phraya Chae)4.Phra Sang Katchai5.KasemChot pavilion is a place, where the statues of Luang Pho KasemKhemmako and PhraKhruPrachotiKhanarakare enshrined. 6.Nature trail around the temple and in the Mon Phraya Chae National Park7.Lampang’s viewpoint that is on the Phra That Mon Phraya Chae is a spot to view the stunning scenery of Lampang.8.Huai Cho Reservoir, which is behind the temple, has also a picturesque viewpoint. 9.Multi-purpose court in front of the temple is suitable for outdoor activities such as camping.10.“The blooming frangipani flowers and worshipping the Buddha’s relics project” is to plant flowers across the temple to provide fragrance throughout the temple.11.The project named “We love Mon Phraya Chae” is in collaboration with the temple and “We love the king we love Thailand” as well as their network in conducting continuous activities to bestow blessings to the King by creating season-based activities such as planting trees and vetiver grass, weirs, controlling forest fire, etc.    

Read more

Detail

24 Min. ( Approx. 15.31 Km.)

Wang Huea Reservoir

Wang Huea ReservoirWang Huea Reservoir, or known as “Lampang Sea” in another name. Lampang Sea is located between Amphoe Muang— Amphoe Mae-Ta, not far from Highway road, and easy to travel to. This reservoir has a beautiful scenery, surrounded by mountains. If visiting in late rainy season (early winter), you will see fog floating at the hill level, the cool air flowing, providing a comfortable atmosphere suitable for a picnic, and a nature contemplation. Lampang people call the reservoir “Lampang Sea”, because by geography Lampang is in the Northern region of Thailand, which is hundred kilometers from the sea area. The reservoir is therefore named Lampang Sea. Also, the name is the trick for attracting the visitors to visit the place as well.Wang Huea Reservoir was constructed to store water during the drought season. It is a small reservoir, which can retain water no exceeding than 50 million cubic meters. The water is aimed for planting crops, preserving marine animals, and using as tourist attraction. Lampang people usually go there to relax themselves, admiring beautiful scenery, learning fishermen’s life styles. Wang Huea Reservoir is one of the most important sites of Lampang province.The reservoir provides food-beverage kiosks, both on land, and on water. There are a variety of menus. The special one is the tasty dishes of Local Thai Northern Region, which you can choose to dine on the ground or on the floating raft. Each of the dining spot allows different atmosphere, customized upon the visitor’s preference. If dining on land kiosk, you will appreciate the vast landscape surrounding the water. If dining on the floating raft, you will have a chance to observe abundant marine lives in the reservoir.Indulging yourself with local food, while contemplating beautiful mountainous landscape is such a great relaxation.As for transportation, Wang Huea Reservoir is 18 kilometers away from Lampang town. Take Highway no. 11 (Following the route: Den Chai-Prae) until reaching Pa Lad 3-way junction. Then drive straight for around 1.5 kilometers. Next, take a U-turn (which is a Lampang inbound way). Before reaching the nearest bridge, turn left, and go straight for 1 kilometer. Before reaching Wang Huea Reservoir, in Lampang town, there is a two-row seat bus for back-forth drive to the site, costing around 200-300 Baht. 

Read more

Detail

8 Hr. 20 Min. ( Approx. 48.47 Km.)

Kiu Lom Dam

Kiu Lom Dam is a large gravity dam fabricated from concrete and metal. The dam is 26.50 meters tall, 5,035 meters long, and 135 meters wide. It can collect up to 112 million cubic meters. The average amount of water flowing to the dam is 578 million cubic meters. In 1968, Royal Irrigation Department developed Nan Waterway by building Kiu Lom Water Irrigation Project, the dam, water system, and buildings. The project was completed in 1968. It is a gravity dam made from concrete and metal. The dam is 26.5 meters taller than the river, 5,035 meters wide, and 135 meters tall. The maximum water collection rate is 112 million cubic meters and the minimum rate is 6 million cubic meters. It can distribute water to help agricultural area in Muang District and some parts of Koh Kha, Mae Tha, and Hang Chat Districts which are about 240,000 rais. The dam also distributes water for water supply production in Lam Pang Municipality.Kiu Lom Dam is located in Baan Laeng Sub-District, 38 kilometers from the city. It is on Lam Pang –Ngaw Route. Turn left at km. 623 – 634 and go straight for 14 kilometers. It is in the area of Tham Pha Thai National Park under Royal Irrigation Department. A reservoir is situated before the dam and is suitable for rafting due to its beautiful scenery. Rafting takes about half a day. The interesting points are such as Chao Kuen Cape, Kiang Cliff, Ngam Cliff, Sop Phu Lake, Baan Sa Fisherman’s Village, etc. Rafting service is available at the dam.During the construction, Kiu Lom Dam is a setting of a short novel series name “Chao Kuen” by Mananya. The story is about the life of a Royal Irrigation Department construction officer and labors. Her inspiration came from when she follow her husband who was one of the construction officers. The short novel is published in chapters in Satree Sarn Magazine. Later, they were gathered into 3 books named “Chao Kuen A Man Called Peng La Korn kiu Lom”.For visitors who would like to stay overnight here can choose one from 2 options:1.Rafting to stay overnight at Pae Chao Kuen - Kiu Lom Resort that provides bungalows on the island in the lake. Call 5422 3772, 0 5433 4393 (after 6 p.m.)2.Rafting and stay overnight on Pae Wang Kaew , a raft with motor, or at Wang Kaew Resort. Call 0 5422 3733, 0 5432 5645, 08 9854 1293Travelling Kiu Lom Dam is 35 kilometers from the city on Lam Pang – Ngaw Route. Turn left at km. 623 – 634 and go straight for 14 kilometers. By public bus, the bus terminal is at Pratuchai. The bus will go to the dam. Car renting is available in Lam Pang City at 300 – 400 baht. The dam is opened form 6 a.m. – 6 p.m. Government units can send a send a letter for accommodation allowance at Royal Irrigation Department at least 15 days  before arrival. Please contact 0 5422 3772. There is a 18-hole golf course near the clubhouse for visitors. Please contact 0 5425 5195 www.rid.go.th.The resort in the reservoir: Kiu Lom Resort call (054) 334-393, 223772 and Pae Wang Kaew call (054) 319-040, 223-733. 

Read more

Detail

Day 2 : Lamphun

Wat Phrathat-haripunchai Woramahawihan

Wat Phrathat-haripunchai Woramahawihan (temple) is situated within Lamphun city centre; having 4 significant roads surrounding all sides – Asadharos Street to the North, Chaimongkol Street to the South, Rob Muang Street to the East and Inthayongyos to the West. The temple is merely 150 metres away from Lampoons’ City Hall. Wat Phrathat-haripunchai Woramahawihan was built in 1108, during the reign of King Atthitayaraj. From its commencement till now, the temple is over 900 years old.Phrathat-haripunchai (stupa) residing in the temple was, originally, the sanctified locale to residents of Hariphunchai but once Hariphunchai expanded and became Lumpoon, the sanctuary was worshiped by the whole province. The stupa itself is influenced by Sri Lankan architecture, beautifully covered with django gold. Inside, is relics placed contained by a golden ossuary. The stupa is built on a pedestal. There is a saying that “You haven’t really been to Lampoon, if you haven’t paid a visit to Phrathat-hariphunchai.” Other than Phratat-hariphunchai being the temples’ renowned highlight, there is PratooKongta-sing archway, which is entrance to the temples’ sacred zone. The archway is a strikingly beautiful brickwork construction with a layered rooftop employing a castle-like design. There are 2 lions guarding the entrance, passing through, is WiharnLuang (Temple’s Main Hall) home of 3 large Buddha images. The interior of Wiharn Luang is uniquely decorated with traditional patterns. Bearing to the south of the WiharnLuang is where Hor Dhama (Hall of Buddhist Manuscripts) situates. HorDhama’s construction is influenced by Lanna arts and architecture, it is decorated with woodcarvings and shinny glazed glass. Walking to the back of the stupa is WiharnThanjai, the temple’s museum and WiharnPhrabat-seeroi. All these attractions inside Wat Phrathat-hariphunchai are equally popular among visitors. Opening Hours: Daily from 06:00 -18:00Entrance Fee: Thai Citizens Free of Charge/ Foreigners: 50 THBFor more information please call: 0 5331 1104, 0 5353 0753Website: www.hariphunchaitemple.com

Read more

Detail

3 Min. ( Approx. 2.03 Km.)

Koo Chang - Koo Ma

Koo Chang is an ancient site situated in Wat Kai Kaew Community in Muang Lam Phun District, Lam Phun District. In the past, Koo Chang – Koo Ma area was a vacant land. There is only Koo Chang that has complete architectural form. Koo Chang is a pagoda built for storing the corpse of Phra Ya Chang Khoo, an elephant of Phra Chao Mahanta Yos, a son of Phra Nang Chama Dhevi. This white elephant’s name is “Poo Gam Nga Kiew”. The base of the pagoda has five round levels made from bricks and soil and covered with cement. The 5th level is upside down lotus shaped, supporting the cylindrical pagoda. The top bends together. It was made from small bricks. The core was made from bricks and cement in some parts. The outer layer was covered with 10 – 25 centimeter cement. The pagoda above the upside down lotus base has 5.60 meter diameter. The top has 3.40 meter diameter. The height from above the upside down lotus base to the top is 8.50 meters. The height from the first level of the base to the top is 13 meters. From study, it is assumed that Chedi Koo Chang was influenced from this pagoda. The complete form of Chedi Koo Chang might be upside down cone shaped, similar to Bo Bo Gyi pagoda. However, it was collapsed later. The wooden roof with baked clay roof tiles were assumed to be built to cover the top in the 22nd century of Buddhist era since some baked clay roof tiles were found by Arts Department during the repair of the pagoda’s top.One of interesting points is Koo Chang – Koo Ma Pagoda which is a strange pagoda comparing to other pagodas in Lanna. It was built from bricks and cement. The height from the base to the top is about 20 meters. The round base has five levels. The pagoda is cylindrical. The top is round and narrow. Above the bell is a throne. The top was collapsed long time ago. The form of the pagoda was assumed to be influenced from Bo Bo Gyi pagoda of Burma. The facilities provided in this area are candles and joss sticks, souvenirs, and amulets.Travelling to Koo Chang – Koo Ma by private car is available. From Tourist Information Center, drive on Rob Muang Road to Pra Thu Chang See. Turn right at Pra Thu Chang See Intersection to Charoen Rat Road and go straight for about 1.25 kilometers. Turn right when seeing Chak Kham Kana Torn School to the road next to the school. Turn right at the intersection and pass Koo Chang graveyard a little bit. Then turn left again at the intersection. When arriving at T-junction near Wat Kai Kaew, turn right again to the intersection and then turn left. Passing Wat Kai Kaew Community a little bit, Koo Chang – Koo Ma is on the left hand side. Public transportation is also available: use a tricycle service from the city. Koo Chang – Koo Ma is opened every day from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.  

Read more

Detail

3 Min. ( Approx. 2.24 Km.)

Kat Doi Ti

Kat Doi Ti is an agricultural market on Chiang Mai - Lam Pang Super Highway. Apart from agricultural products, Kat Doi Ti is also the center of souvenirs from all districts in Lam Phun Province including Lam Phun Silk Mantles, the unique product of Lam Phun. It is the folk handcraft that Lam Phun people are proud of since it has been inherited for many generations and it is suitable to wear in official ceremonies and special occasions as it expresses Thai uniqueness. Lam Phun Silk Mantles is hard to buy nowadays since there are fewer manufacturers but it is still available at Kat Doi Ti.Moreover, Kat Doi Ti also sells carved wood from Mae Ta District which is the well known product of Mae Ta District (known as OTOP in Thailand). It is the worthy artwork from folk wisdom, skills, and refinement of craftsmen. It is the uniqueness of Mae Ta District in Lam Phun, the world’s largest wood carving location.Kat Doi Ti also sells handmade cotton clothes from Pa Sang District, tribesmen’s silverware from Li District, and products from longans, shallots, garlics, and Royal Project. Therefore, visitors can buy many well known products from various districts in Lam Phun for your relatives and friends. Kat Doi Ti is opened everyday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Kat Doi Ti is also the rest area. Food and beverages are available for visitors. The rest area is opened all day. 

Read more

Detail

1 Min. ( Approx. 0.52 Km.)

Hariphunchai National Museum

Hariphunchai National MuseumHariphunchai National Museum is situated at Inthayongyot Road, Nai Mueang District, Amphoe Mueang, Lamphun, oblique to Wat Phra That Hariphunchai. The site was initially established in 1967 (2470 B.E.) by Phraya Ratchakun Wibun Phakdi, using a pavilion within Wat Phra That Hariphunchai’s area as an exhibition building. As it was later accredited as a national museum, Fine Arts Department agreed to elevate the quality of the museum to meet academic standard and constructed the new building on Inthayongyot Road opposite to the original place. The construction was completed in 1974 (2517 B.E.) and officially open for public five years after.Inside the museum, visitors can enjoy art objects and antiques very local to the northern region of Thailand. The exhibition is divided into three rooms. The first is the Stone Inscription Hall, located on the first floor of the main building. This open hall showcases 23 columns of stone inscription; seven columns from Hariphunchai period, sixteen from Lanna period. Continuing to the upper floor is where the Main Exhibition Hall - the long hall sectioned into three zones according to the periods of pre-Hariphunchai, Hariphunchai, and Lanna - could be found. The displayed objects range from skeletons, stone tools, iron tools, clay vessels, bracelets, Buddha images’ heads, to Buddhist votive tablets and many more. Last but not least is the Folk Arts and Carved Woodenwares Hall, which is set in the separate small building with the connecting hall from the main building. Most of the articles reflect the rounded local wisdom from Lanna and Rattanakosin period, for example, tools in everyday’s use, farming utensils, iron forging tools, traditional musical instruments, and architectural decorative carved wooden items such as ‘Tuai’ or bracket and ‘Ham Yon’ or decorating carved wooden clearstory.Opening hours: Wednesday - Sunday, 09.00hrs - 16.00hrsAdmission: Thai 30 baht/ foreigners 100 bahtPlease contact 0-5351-1186 for more information.Website:  http://www.nationalmuseums.finearts.go.th/hariphunchai/history.htm 

Read more

Detail