Suan Pakkad Palace
Chatuchak weekend market is a heaven for shoppers, especially if they are ready to bargain! The plant market is held every Wednesday and Thursday, while on the weekend, Chatuchak becomes the biggest market in Thailand when over 8,000 vendors from all over the country converging in a single area. Read more
Wat Pho is situated behind the Grand Palace, near the Tha Tien Pier. It is a large temple that was originally called Wat Photharam and was built during the Ayutthaya Period. King Rama I ordered its complete restoration in 1789 and installed many Buddha images that were removed from abandoned temples in other parts of the country. Read more
The Temple of Dawn or Wat Arun is name after the Indian god of dawn, Aruna. It is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River. King Taksin chose this 17th century Wat for his royal temple and palace. The temple was formerly known as Wat Makok and renamed to Wat Jaeng, literally means Temple of Dawn, when he restored it. Read more
On the site of what was once a cabbage field (suan pakkad), Maj. Gen. HRH Prince Chumbhotpong Paripatra of Nagor Svarga and his consort, MR Pantip, built this palace as a weekend resort. At the conclusion of World War II, they moved to reside in this palace permanently.
House 1: This building contains images of the Thai Royal Family, model boats and six drums. The upper floor houses artifacts such as an image of the goddness Uma and Buddha images from the U-Thong period of Thailand, India and Myanmar.
House 2: This was originally a reception area, and displays personal possessions , such as ivory boxes and bowls inlaid in mother-of-pearl.
House 3: Thai musical instruments, nielloware, Bencharong ceramics and a palanquin are displayed here.
House 4: Originally a dinning room in the in the Japannese style, this house has a mother-of- pearl inlaid door frame dating from the 17th century.On the lower floor is “the cave of Alibaba” displays the Princesses extensive mineral collection.
House 5: The upper room displays ancient Ban Chiang pottery, while downstairs sea shells, rocks and fossil can be found.
House 6 : Sawankhalok ceramics, ancient stone axes, earthenware utensils and figurines from the Sukhothai period can be viewed here.
House 7: This is a khon Museum with video presentations; masks. Costumes, accessories, and a model of a Ramayana troupe playing a scene from the battle of Kumphakan.
Lacquer Pavilion: This is perhaps the most exquisite building in Suan Pakkad Palace. Outside the pavilion are art carvings and lacquer patterns. Pictures in lacquer are inscribed inside the pavilion.
Marasi Gallery : this gallery is located on the first floor of the Chumbho-Pantip Art gallery. Exhibitions are held regularly to promote contemporary art, photogragphy, ceramics, mixed media, installation and performance. The Ban Chiang Museum on the second floor features ancient artifacts and has an explanatory display about Ban Chiang art and culture.It open daily 9.00 am to 4.00 pm. For more information, please call 66-2245-4934 , 66-2246-1775-6 Ext 229