headline
Attractions
Wat Sri Ubon Rattanaram (Wat Si Thong) Temple

Temple

All Day

04.30 - 22.00

Contact Details

Address

-

Telephone

-

Attraction Details

Wat Sri Ubon Rattanaram or Wat Si Thong is a royal temple near the City Hall in Ubon Ratchathani constructed in 1855 during the reign of King Rama IV of CHakri dynasty. The Ubosot (Ordination Hall) is in the same style as Wat Benchambophit, the Marble Temple, in Bangkok. It is where Phra Kaew Busarakham is located.
The location used to belong to Uphadto (Na Ubon family line); the family gave these 25 fields to the public and had it turn into the Dhammayutti temple. At night on the giving day, the unknown golden light was shot through the sky which was why the temple was called Wat Si Thong.
The reverend monk thewathammi (Mao) was given the head monk position. The monk house was built in 1855. It was said that he was in Dharma Studies Department in Bangkok since he was a novice and had served King Rama IV. He was then in a high rank position followed by many worshippers, government officers and local people.
In 1968, King Rama IX and the Queen had attended the inauguration ceremony called "FANG LUUK NIMIT" where some sacred marker spheres are needed to be buried in the temple compound. The temple was then patronized by Princess Ubol Ratanaratchkanya and the name was changed to Wat Sri Ubon Rattanaram.
Wat Sri Ubon Rattanaram used to be the residence for many reverend monks including Phra Ubalikunupamajarn Sirichanthera, Weerawong Tissathera, Ta Chotipalthera, Sao Kantasilthera and Ajahn Mun Bhurithatthera.
The principal Buddha image in the attitude of subduing Mara is known as the Topaz Buddha, Phra Kaew Busarakham, with 3 inches wide and 5 inches tall. It was told that this Buddha image was brought from Si Sattanakanahut, Laos.
During the annual Songkhan festival, the image is paraded through town for people to bathe the sacred idol.
 

How to get there
Submit inquiries and request for more information: