08.00 - 17.00Contact Details
Mu 3, Tambon Ban Ko, Amphoe Phrom Khiri, Nakhon Si Thammarat
Wat Khao Khun Phanom is an important temple of historical and archaeological background. The temple has a cave lined with a brick wall and marked with heart-shaped stones similar to those along the city wall. The wall at the entrance has plaster decorated with Chinese porcelain. In the cave, there are about 30 bronze Buddha images and a bronze Buddha's footprint. Several smaller connecting caves branch out from the main cave are like an elaborate fortress maze. People believe this is where King Taksin the Great (1734-1782) used to stay while many believe it was the rest stop of Princess Kesini, daughter of Chao Nara Suriyawong, the lord of Nakhon Si Thammarat during 1769-1776
On the way up to Khao Khun Phanom is Khao Khun Phanom Scientific Study Center that provides knowledge on science, technology, environment and eco-tourism for public in Khao Khun Phanom cultural community. There is a training camp activity and a group called the Tourism to Study Fruit Orchards by Bicycle Club.
Wat Khao Khun Phanom and the Khao Khun Phanom Scientific Study Centre is in Moo 3, Tambon Ban Ko. From the city, take Highway No. 4016 to the 21-km marker, past Phrom Lok market, then take a right-hand road for 2.5 kilometers.