08.30 - 16.00Contact Details
Wang Doem Road, Khwaeng Wat Arun, Khet Bangkok Yai, Bangkok
Commonly known among Thais as Wang Doem, it is the former ruling palace of the late King Tasin (1770-1782) of Thonburi, a kingdom prior to the current Rattanakosin (Bangkok) Kingdom. King Taksin was the great king who freed Thailand from the Burmese kingdom after the fall of Ayutthaya in 1767 and reestablished the capital city at Thonburi on the left bank of Chao Phraya River.
The Former Palace houses a number of structures and buildings which recall the legendary Thonburi Kingdom, including Wichai Prasit Fort which was one of the major defense forts protecting Bangkok in later disputes. Nearby the palace is Bangkok’s most remembered landmark, The Temple of Dawn or Wat Arun.
Opening hours: Daily, 8:30am - 4pm.
Contact: The Foundation for Conserving the Former Palace (Phra Ratchawang Doem), Royal Thai Navy Headquarters, ธel. 0 2475 4117. www.wangdermpalace.org
Admission: 60 baht