08.00 - 17.00Contact Details
80 Mu 1 Tambon Ko Panyi, Amphoe Mueang Phang-nga, Phang-nga
+66 2562 0760, +66 7648 1163, +66 7648 1188, +66 7641 2188
The marine national park covers a total area of approximately 25,000 acre in Amphoe Mueang Phang Nga, Amphoe Takua Thung, and Amphoe Koh Yao. It was declared a national park on April 29, 1981 and became Thailand’s second marine national park where most of the area is seawater and islands of Limestone Mountains of different shapes and beauty. It is also the home of mangrove forest and a breeding area of marine animals. December to April is the most appropriate period to visit the Park whereas May to October is the period of heavy rainfalls and strong waves.
Interesting Attractions within the National Park:
Koh Panyi is a small island with a plain of approximately 0.5 acre and 200 houses of sea villagers. Most of the dwellers are Thai Muslims, earning their living by fishing and selling souvenirs and food to visitors. There is a school and public health center as well the giant floating football stadium that is listed as one of the most fascinating football stadium around the world.
Koh Phanak is a beautiful island with stalactite and stalagmite caves and a small-tiered waterfall inside.
Koh Phing Kan is an island on the beach that derives its name from the fact that a stone mountain split in two and the smaller part slid down, so that its base was buried into the soil while the top parts still lean against each other. The scenery behind Koh Phing Kan is very picturesque with “Koh Tapu”, otherwise known as “James Bond Island” is seen in the sea in the background, looking like a nail—Tapu—stuck into the water.
Koh Ma Chu is on the way to Koh Panyi and looks similar to a dog, with a head, body, and a hairy tail.
Koh Khian or Rock Paintings is on the way to Koh Panyi. It houses rock paintings on the cliff of various animals believed to have been painted by sailors who moored their ships here to take shelter from the monsoon. According to the Thailand’s Fine Arts Department, the paintings are at least 3,000 years old.
Tham Lot is a mountain similar to Koh Thalu. The opening of the cave is approximately 50 meters wide and 40 meters high, through which a small boat can sail to the other end of the cave. There are weird stalactites on the cave’s ceiling.
Koh Hong features undulated hills hugging the sea, looking like a large chamber with 2 doors and housing beautiful coral reefs.
Accommodation: The Phang-Nga Bay Resort near the Tha Dan pier offers comfortable rooms while national park itself also has bungalows and tents for rent. The national park bungalows has room for 4-15 persons and rates range from 700-1,500 baht. In case visitors bring their own tents, a fee of 20 baht each will be charged for showering. For more information contact Ao Phang-Nga National Park at 80 Mu 1, Tambon Koh Panyee, Amphoe Mueang, Phang-Nga 82000 or tel. 076-411-136, 076-412-188.
Opening hours: 8am-5pm
Admission: 300 baht for adult and 100 baht for children
Contact: Ao Phang Nga National Park, 80 Mu 1 Tambon Koh Panyi, Amphoe Mueang Phang Nga, Phang Nga 82000. 076-411-136, 076-412-188, or National Park, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department Tel. 02-562-0760, www.dnp.go.th
By car, the Park is approximately 8 kilometers from the provincial town. Take Highway No. 4 and turn left for some 4 kilometers into Highway No. 4144 until reaching the Customs Checkpoint Pier. A boat for rent is available from the pier. Otherwise, take a daily Song Thaeo (minibus) from the provincial town to the Customs Checkpoint Pier.
Boat Cruises in Ao Phang Nga is available from various piers, as follows:
· Customs Checkpoint Pier, near the Phang Nga Bay Resort, boats of different sizes are available. Contact Khun Han Karaket at Tel. 081-894-1499—Boat for 1 - 8 persons 1,200 Baht / Boat for 8 - 20 persons 2,000 Baht / Boat for 20 - 40 persons 4,500 Baht. The cruise takes about 3 - 4 hours.
· Surakun or Kasom Pier, Amphoe Takua Thung, provides boats for rent of different sizes.—Boat for 1 - 10 persons 1,200 Baht / Boat for 1 - 20 persons 1,500 Baht / Boat for 1 - 30 persons 1,600 Baht
· Ao Phang-nga National Park’s pier, speedboats and long-tail boats available. For more information , contact 076-411-136, 076-412-188.—Boat for 2 - 6 persons 1,000 Baht / Boat for 7 - 12 persons 1,500 Baht / Boat for 35 - 45 persons 4,500 Baht The Cruise takes about 3 - 4 hours. Note: Boat rental rates are subjected to change without prior notice.
For more information call:
· Kiatjaroenchai 1, 076-496-475, 081-677-5971
· * Kiatjaroenchai 2, 076-496-342, 081-676-2906
· Ran Pol, 076-496-381, 086-691-4802. Or contact the following businesses: Sayan Tour, 076-430-348.
Ao Phang-nga National Park is situated 12 kilometres from Phang-nga town. Travel 8 kilometres from the town via Highway No. 4, then turn left into Highway No. 4114 and continue for 4 kilometres to the Ao Phang-nga National Park’s headquarters where visitors can obtain tourist information.
The trip can also be made by riding a local bus from Phang-nga town.
Several tour operators in Phang-nga and Phuket organise a day trip to Phang-nga Bay.
Chartered boats around Phang-nga Bay are available at the following piers:
- Customs Pier or Tha Dan, located at nearby Phang-nga Bay Resort. There are various sizes of chartered boats. Prices range from 1,000 to 3,500 baht per boat.
- Ao Phang-nga National Park’s pier, speedboats and long-tail boats available. For more information call 0 7641 1136, 0 7641 2188.
- Surakun or Kasom Pier, located in Amphoe Takua Thung. There are various sizes of chartered boats. Prices range from 1,400 to 4,500 baht per boat.
For more information call:
* Kiatjaroenchai 1 at tel. 0 7649 6475, 08 1677 5971
* Kiatjaroenchai 2 at tel. 0 7649 6342, 08 1676 2906
* Raan Pol at tel. 0 7649 6381, 08 6691 4802.
Or contact the following businesses:
- Sayan Tour at tel. 0 7643 0348
- A trip to Ao Phang-Nga National Park takes around three hours, with a half-day tour arrangeable. Admission fee is 200 baht. The Phang-Nga Bay Resort near the Tha Dan pier offers comfortable accommodation. There are bungalows and tents available at the National Park. For more information contact Ao Phang-Nga National Park at 80 Mu 1, Tambon Koh Panyee, Amphoe Mueang, Phang-Nga 82000 or tel.
0 7641 1136, 0 7641 2188.