Wat Pathom Chedi
Bang Luang market – an old market with a story to tell – is located in Bang Lane district, Nakhon Pathom. This is a traditional marketplace on Suphan Buri riverbank where local residents still live and trade here as when it first began hundreds of years ago. Nowadays, it remains vibrant and retains the atmosphere of a traditional market. Read more
Wat Pathom Chedi
Wat Pathom Chedi houses the biggest Chedi in Thailand. It was built in the reign of Rama King IV in the year 1853 to replace the old one. The old chedi is assumed to be from the early years of the fourth Buddhist century for its resemblance to the Indian Sanchi Chedi, which was built in the reign of King Asoka Maharaja. The new chedi took 17 years to complete and was finished in the reign of King Rama V, 1870. The new chedi is a Lanka round, upside-down bell shape and contains a Buddha relic. The height from the ground is 120.5 meters and the perimeter is 233 meters. King Rama V6 renovated the chedi to be more elegant and appointed it as a royal temple.
Highlights of Wat Pathom Chedi are Ruang Rojanarit Buddha image and Wat Phra Pathom Chedi Museum. Ruang Rojanarit is a standing Buddha image in the forgiving posture and is located in the north image hall in the front of Phra Pathom Chedi. The Buddha image was crafted in King Rama VI’s reign and it was also where his ashes were placed. The museum is in the west side of the temple and contains a huge collection of archaeological finds from Nakhorn Pathom province dating back to the era of Baan Chiang and Tvaravadi. Also, the casket of “Ya-Lay”, King Rama VI’s favorite dog, is also kept inside this museum.
The museum opens everyday from 8 am to 4.30 pm with 12 am to 1 pm lunch break.
Wat Pathom Chedi opens from 7 am to 8 pm. Admission fee for foreigners is 40 baht per person. For more information call 0 3424 2134.