Wat Arunratchawararam Ratchaworamahawihan

Bangkok became the capital of Thailand in 1782, when the royal court relocated from the city of Ayutthaya, which had been left in ruins following years of conflict with the Burmese. Read more

Chatuchak weekend market is a heaven for shoppers, especially if they are ready to bargain! The plant market is held every Wednesday and Thursday, while on the weekend, Chatuchak becomes the biggest market in Thailand when over 8,000 vendors from all over the country converging in a single area. Read more

Wat Pho is situated behind the Grand Palace, near the Tha Tien Pier. It is a large temple that was originally called Wat Photharam and was built during the Ayutthaya Period. King Rama I ordered its complete restoration in 1789 and installed many Buddha images that were removed from abandoned temples in other parts of the country. Read more

Wat Phra Si Rattana Satsadaram or the Temple of the Emerald Buddha is the official name of Wat Phra Kaew, the royal monastery situated on the northeastern/ northwestern corner of the Grand Palace in Bangkok. Read more

The Temple of Dawn or Wat Arun is name after the Indian god of dawn, Aruna. It is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River. King Taksin chose this 17th century Wat for his royal temple and palace. The temple was formerly known as Wat Makok and renamed to Wat Jaeng, literally means Temple of Dawn, when he restored it. Read more

The first permanent residence in Dusit Garden was Vimanmek Mansion, built in 1900 by royal command of King Rama V. Read more

Formerly this area was gardens and fields called Phayathai Field. King Rama V ordered a new residence to be built here for both relaxation and conducting agricultural experiments. Read more

On the site of what was once a cabbage field (suan pakkad), Maj. Gen. HRH Prince Chumbhotpong Paripatra of Nagor Svarga and his consort, MR Pantip, built this palace as a weekend resort. At the conclusion of World War II, they moved to reside in this palace permanently. Read more

At the heart of Bangkok, you can pay respects to the City Pillar Shrine and ask for good fortune and glory. Read more

The Democracy Monument in Bangkok was built in 1940 to commemorate the establishment a constitutional monarchy in 1932. Read more

Bangkok's Chinatown is located on Yaowarat Road in the Samphantawong district. Read more

Museum Siam is housed in the former building of the Ministry of Commerce in Tha Tien district, and after a complete transformation it now a modern museum. Read more

Founded at the home centre of Rattanakosin Island, this is one of Thailand’s six most important temples. King Rama I wished to make it the central temple of Bangkok and construction began in 1807. Read more

The sathorn shop at Baan Had Siew is where the woven textile of Thai Puan is sold. The back of the shop also has a textile museum where some of the exhibits are more than a hundred years old. Read more

If you are a Bangkokian seeking a place not too far away to relax for the weekend, one special attraction that comes highly recommended is the hall of butterflies and insects. Read more

Yaowarat is one of the most crowded and vibrant landmarks of Bangkok, especially at Chinese New Year when many Thai-Chinese Bangkokians come here to shop. Read more

In the past, this small road was the busiest and biggest rice-trading area in the period of King Rama VI. Today, however, Khaosarn Road is world famous and a destination to the whole lot of foreigners who want to taste the alluring nightlife experience of Bangkok. Read more

Wat Arunratchawararam Ratchaworamahawihan

The Temple of Dawn or Wat Arun is name after the Indian god of dawn, Aruna. It is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River. King Taksin chose this 17th century Wat for his royal temple and palace. The temple was formerly known as Wat Makok and renamed to Wat Jaeng, literally means Temple of Dawn, when he restored it.

The Emerald Buddha was housed here after it was recaptured from Laos, before being moved to Wat Phra Kaeo in 1785. Even without the sacred statue, Wat Arun continued to be much revered, and the King Rama II and King Rama III reconstructed and enlarged the main prang of the temple to its present height of 74 meters. King Rama II renamed it to Wat Arunratchatharam and King Rama IV later changed the name to Wat Arunratchawanaram.

Today, Wat Arun has a long elongated, Khmer-style, prang, the tower, and four minor towers symbolising Mount Meru, the terrestrial representation of the thirty-three heavens. The Prangs are covered with pieces of porcelain, which Chinese boats coming to Bangkok used as ballast.

The main Prang, steep steps lead to the two terraces that form the base of the Prang. The different layers, or heavens are supported by Kinnaree, or half humans, and frightening Yaksas, or demons. Pavilions on the first platform contain statues of the buddha at the most important stages of his life, while on the Hindi god Indra or Erawan, his thirty-three headed elephant, stand guard.

Most tourists come for the climb and do not have time for the rest of the Wat. The main Buddha image inside the Bot is believed to have been designed by King Rama II himself, but the murals date from the reign of King Rama V.

The Temple has flourished throughout the Ratanakosin period. The beauty os the architecture and the fine craftsmanship declare its status as a temple of the first grade and one of the mostoutstanding temples of Thailand. In a long tradition, every king of the Chakri Dynasty has presided over important ceremonies here, including the Royal barge procession to offer Pra Krathin or monk’s robes, during the Thod Krathin Festival.

It is open daily from 8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Admission is 30 baht for foreigners and free for Thai people. Getting There : Bus no. 19,57,83 Boat-Ferry-Tha Tien Pier to Wat Arun Pier