Sights & Attractions
DailyOperating time: 08.00 - 17.00
Located on Mahachai Road, Khwaeng Samranrat, Khet Phra Nakhon, Bangkok
Tel. 0 2222 5067
Category : Temple, Historical Sites & Monuments
Attraction Details :
Wat Thepthidaram Woraviharn is classified as the third degree of Thailand’s royal monastery. It is located at 70, Mahachai road, Samranrat Sub-District, Phranakorn District, Bangkok. It was previously named Wat Baan Phrayakraisuanluang.
In 1836, King Rama III ordered his son, Krommuean Bhuminbhakdi and Chaochormmarnda aimnoi to be responsible for the construction of Wat Thepthidaram Woraviharn. The aim of constructing this temple is to commemorate his daughter, Phraongchao Yingwilas (Krommuen Ubsornsudathep). The construction finished in 1839 and King Rama III bestowed the name ‘Wat Thepthidaram’ which means ‘Heavenly Angel’ (Absornsudathep) and His Majesty came over at the temple as a principal in the monastic boundary celebration on December 22, 1839.
The architecture of the temple was influenced by Chinese arts. This is because, during that period of time, most of Thai businesses were in contact with Chinese and somehow they spread out their arts and cultures which obviously influenced Thai architecture. So, the building of the temple got no gable apex like others that was built before. Also, there are Chinese rock sculptures all over the temple as well as people or animal sculptures dressing in Chinese style. Most of the rock sculptures are sculptures of women in varied postures.
The highlights of the temple are the four corner stupas. They were all made by master craftsman of King Rama III. Also, the movable throne of the principle Buddha image inside the sanctuary as well as the drawing on the sanctuary wall are as well counted as highlights of Wat Thepthidaram Woraviharn.
Moreover, there is Trai tower which also influenced by Chinese arts as you can spot from the feature of the building. The tower was made of bricks and concrete which consists of two storeys inside. The tower got high basement as the signature of a Thai building with gable apex on the roof and the colorful glass decorations on the pediment. Also, there are arts sculpture on every single door and window. The aim of building this tower is to provide a place to keep ancient palm leaf manuscripts carrying Buddhist scriptures as well as Buddhist bibles as there is an ancient cabinet for keeping bibles placed inside the tower. This ancient cabinet is 2 meters high and the cabinet poles are in the shape of a lion foot.
Sunthon Phu, the greatest Thai poet of Rattanakosin period, once resided in this temple when he was entered monkhood from 1840 to 1842. Presently, there is still an old monk house named ‘Baan Kawee’ opens as a museum.
Any visitors interested to visit Wat Thepthidaram Woraviharn can come over the place daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and an admission is free. For further information, please call 02-2257425 or 02-222-3046-7