Sights & Attractions
DailyOperating time: 08.00 - 17.00
Amphoe Mueang, Lopburi
Category : Temple
Attraction Details :
Wat Mani Chonlakhan, one of the 3rd class royal monasteries, is situated in Phrommas subdistrict, Mueang district, Lopburi province. General topography of the temple is an island where Sra Savoey village is in the North, Talad Lang in the South, Ban Thahin Municipal School in the East, and Saphan 2 village in the West.
Wat Mani Chonlakhan is an ancient temple that has been founded for many generations. Not only does it hold great significances, but it can also be regarded as the gate of the province, i.e. the bridge built on the island of Wat Mani Chonlakhan is the one and only direct route connecting Lopburi and Singburi. All by-passers from Singburi and the Lopburi locals have to rely on this route when commuting. For this reason, Wat Mani Chonlakhan is considered as the ‘Western Gate of Lopburi’, alongside the statue of King Narai the Great on Thep Satree roundabout or the so-called ‘Eastern Gate of Lopburi’.
Based on the existing evidence, Wat Mani Chonlakhan was founded during the reign of King Narai the Great (1656- 1688). Formerly, it was called Wat Ko Kaew because it was situated right in the middle of Lopburi River, until there was the construction of the road which runs through and divides the temple into two halves. Built by Phaya Abhai Ronnarith, the temple was later given its current name by King Chulalongkorn (Rama V). In this occasion, the King also planted a Bodhi tree within the compound of the temple. On 2 August 1936, it was registered as a national historic site by the Fine Arts Department. One of the renowned buildings in Wat Mani Chonlakhan is a towering pagoda with distinctive shape called Chedi Luang Phor Sang. Although this pagoda resembles those twelve-indented corner pagoda erected during Chiang Saen period, it has 3 storeys and 4 entrance doors in ogive. The temple also houses a magnificent Buddha image in Naga Prok posture (the Buddha image sits on a large coiled serpent), the Bodhi tree, the assembly hall (vihara), the chapel (ubosot) and the grand exquisite Buddha image by the river. In the 12th month of every year a massive crowd of people flock to the temple to join boat rowing completion and Loy Krathong ceremony.
Furthermore, the temple displays a wooden plank taken from a pulpit dating back to 1682 during the reign of King Narai the Great (1656 – 1688). The plank is measured 48 cm. wide * 67 cm. tall * 14 cm. thick. The 11-line inscription on that plank was written in Thai and it involves the history of the pulpit, such as the year in which it was built, the cost incurred, and the builders: Khun Sri Thepphabal Rajraksa and Mae Ookban.