Sights & Attractions
DailyOperating time: 08.00 - 17.00
Ban Lai Ing, Tambon Wiang, Amphoe Mueang, Phayao
Category : Temple
Attraction Details :
WatLi has withstood nearly half a millennium of city-states rising and falling as Siam, and then Thailand, took shape. Constructed in 1495 AD as a tribute to PhrachaoYot Chiang Rai, the king of Chiang Mai town, the temple holds a significant place in Phayao history. Li, its original name from an ancient northern Thai dialect, means market –thus the name means a temple within a market community.
Within the temple compound lie important relics: PhrathatWat Li, delicate sandstone Buddha images and other links to the old Phayao Kingdom era. A museum nearby displays many other artifacts as well.
Wat Li is located at Ban Lai Ing, near the 3rd Municipality School, TambonWiang. It is open from 8.00 am-5.00 pm. More information is available at 0 5371 7433 and 0 5374 4674-5.