Sights & Attractions
DailyOperating time: 08.00 - 17.00
Soi Chaloem Phra Kiat 15, Tambon Bang Si Mueang, Amphoe Mueang, Nonthaburi
Category : Temple
Attraction Details :
Wat Chaloem Phra Kiat
This temple is a royal monastery located to the west of the Chao Phraya River. It was constructed under the royal command of King Rama III to dedicate to his mother and grandparents who resided in this area. The construction was completed in the reign of King Rama IV. The combination of Thai and Chinese-style ubosot (chapel) can be seen in an attractively peaceful temple compound. This unique architectural ubosot possesses an earthen mosaics roof of natural colors, which had been laid in a Chinese style and beautiful Chinese mosaics crafted into a striking flower on its upper part.
The chapel consists of a colorful mural painting of falling flowers, door and window panels have lacquered gold leaf designs, gables have raised plaster flower designs, the floor is decorated with mirrors, and the inside part of the door and window panels has drawings of lotuses, birds and aquatic animals.
The main Buddha image enshrined in this chapel is in the Sadung Man posture. It is made entirely of copper. According to legend, King Rama III commanded that copper be mined in Amphoe Chanthuk in Nakhon Ratchasima Province. A sizable quantity of high-grade copper was subsequently obtained. The king wished for the copper to be used in religious affairs and ordered the molding of Buddha images to be housed as main images within 2 new temples that were Wat Ratchanadda and Wat Chaloem Phra Kiat. He also ordered the molding of images in 34 other postures. The image at Wat Chaloem Phra Kiat was completed in 1846. However, misfortune accompanied the transfer of the main image to Wat Ratchanadda when the carriage carrying the image rolled over and killed Chao Phraya Yommarat (Bunnak) and 2 other officials. In the reign of King Rama IV, he named the image Phra Phutthamaha Lokaphinanthapatima to mark the tragedy.
In 1858, King Rama IV placed the main Buddha image in the royal chapel here. It is in the Man Wichai posture flanked by servants. It sits on a pedestal and is the only one of its kind.
Other interesting historical artifacts include a Lanka pagoda and Phra Si Maha Pho Phan Phothikhaya dating from the reign of King Rama IV can be seen in the temple.