Sights & Attractions
- Art, Culture & Heritage
- » Landmarks and Memorials
- » Museums
- » Historical Houses
- » Historical Sites & Monuments
- » Art & Craft Centres
- » Art Galleries
- » World War II Sites
- » Royal Palace
- » Archaeological
- Educational places
- Nature & Wildlife
- Places of Worship
- Recreational & Entertainment
- Royal Project, Research and Development
- Spas & Wellness
- Suburban Living
- Wineries & Breweries
Wednesday - SundayOperating time: 09.00 - 16.00
Surin National Museum Surin National Museum
Mu 13 Thanon Surin-Prasat, Tambon Cha Niang, Amphoe Mueang, Surin
Tel. 0 4451 3358
Category : Museums
Attraction Details :
Situated at km. 4 of Surin-Prasat Road, on the left before bypass road. The museum features five areas namely geography, archeology, city history, ethnology, and heritages of the province.
1. Geography section features physical of Surin including tomography, climate, geology, soil science, natural resources such as earth, water, forest, wildlife, and national parks. Moreover, it features rice and rice farming, as Surin is of the best place for growing Jasmine Rice.
2. Archeology section features development of people, lifestyle including the second funeral in pre-historical period, antique from Dvaravati, Khmer, and Ayutthaya-Lanchang found in Surin. There are replica of ancient sites presented with motion picture to educate museum goer in the area of archaelogy and art history found in Surin.
3. City History section features history of Surin city from past to present in the presentation boxes. From Kuai ethnic group who caught white elephant escaped from Ayutthaya until Surin City was well established. Other topics include administration reform, significant incidents such as white elephant catching, the first arrival of train to Surin, market at the first stage, education in the past.
4. Ethnology section features four major ethnic groups in Surin namely Suay or Kuai who has excellent skill in catching and training elephant, Khmer who is the native of the region, Laotian who is the latest migratory, and Thai Khorat who came from Nakhon Ratchasima. The presentation replicates lifestyle of different ethnic groups with replica houses, rites, photographs and picture about the traditions.
5. Heritages of the province. Surin is famed for its cultural heritages, which was handicrafts namely silver ornaments, silk cloth, traditional performances, and elephant raising. The later puts Surin on the world map. The presentation of this section includes replica, photographs and motion pictures.
The museum is open from Wednesday to Sunday, from 9.00 am. to 4.00 pm.. It is close on Monday, Tuesday, and special holiday. For more information, call 0-4451-3358.