Sights & Attractions
Nakhon RatchasimaOperating day:
DailyOperating time: 08.00 - 16.30
Amphoe Mueang, Nakhon Ratchasima
Tel. +66 4421 3030 , +66 4421 3666
Category : Other religious & spiritural sites
Attraction Details :
Nakhon Ratchasima City Pillar Shrine was built at the same time as the Province Nakhon Ratchasima formed itself between 1656-1688, during reign of King Naray Maharat. In 1826, Chao Anu Wong invaded Nakhon Ratchasima and destroyed the city pillar shrine. Passed on through generations, Mr. Kaew Petchsopon who was the care taker explained that the original city pillar shrine was built from wood and had only 6 small pillars. The shrine was rather small and stood directly on the ground (no concrete basement). It had a tin roof and one door. The city pillar shrine is kept in place with leather ropes joining the upper part with the Chainarong or Pratoo Pee (to the south) while the lower part of the shrine is joined with the Prateen (to the north). The interior is quite dark but is mildly scented with joss ticks and candles. To the front of the city pillar shrine are Chun Trees grown along the road offering fine views to passersby. The original city pillar shrine is placed on the opposite side, marking the village of Baan Lak Roi. To the west of the city pillar shrine is mostly forest area, but because there is a village nearby a local cinema and traditional Thai theatre is built in the area.
Nakhon Ratchasima a City Pillar Shrine is highly sacred among local residents. Passersby regularly drop by and pay their respects, especially carts with loads on them. People believe that if one passes by without stopping the cart will get stuck and the cows won’t have enough strength to pull the carts. One December in 1893 during King Rama V’s visit to the area, his majesty also dropped by to the city pillar shrine before leaving.
Later, on January 1, 1894 King Rama VI (at the time was still prince) visited Nakorn Ratchasrima and made a stop to the city shrine. As the original city pillar shrine became older, villagers along with government officials decided to build a new one in replacement. On October 30, 1963 King Rama IX and his queen was present at the opening ceremony. On January 3, 1937 the Department of Fine Arts registered Nakhon Ratchasima City Pillar Shrine as a National archeological site.