Sights & Attractions
- Art, Culture & Heritage
- » Landmarks and Memorials
- » Museums
- » Historical Houses
- » Historical Sites & Monuments
- » Art & Craft Centres
- » Art Galleries
- » World War II Sites
- » Royal Palace
- » Archaeological
- Educational places
- Nature & Wildlife
- Places of Worship
- Recreational & Entertainment
- Royal Project, Research and Development
- Spas & Wellness
- Suburban Living
- Wineries & Breweries
Phra Nakhon Si AyutthayaOperating day:
Wednesday - SundayOperating time: 09.00 - 16.00
Amphoe Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya
Tel. +66 3525 1586, +66 3525 2795
Category : Museums
Attraction Details :
On the bank of Pasak River, this palace was built during the reign of King Maha Thammaraja, the 17th Ayutthaya monarch, for his son’s residence (King Naresuan). Like other ruins, the palace was destroyed by the Burmese and left unrepaired for a long time. King Mongkut of the present Chakri dynasty ordered reconstructoin of this palace for use as a residence during his occasional visits to Ayutthaya. Some of the more interesting sites are :
Palace Wall and Gate They were newly constructed by the command of King Rama IV. The original foundation of the palace wall has since been found through excavation, thus revealing that the original area was much more spacious than what is currently seen.
Phlapphla Chatulamuk This wooden four-gabled roof pavilion is near the east gate of the palace. Originally, a residential place of King Mongkut during his visit to Ayutthaya, it later became the “Chantharakasem National Museum,” under the responsibility of the Fine Arts Department. It is open everyday except Mondays, Tuesdays and national holidays from 9.00 a.m.-4.00 p.m. Admission is 100 baht
Phiman Rattaya Hall A group of buildings located amidst the compound of the palace, which once served as government offices and the Provincial Administrative Building for several years.
Phisai Sanyalak Hall This is a four-storey tower located close to the western side of the Palace. It was originally constructed during the reign of King Narai the Great, but was destroyed during the 2nd fall of Ayutthaya. It was reconstructed according to the original foundation in the fourth reign of the present dynasty. King Rama IV used the tower to observe the stars.
The palace is now used as a national museum. It has been decorated for demonstration of antiques such as Chinaware, ancient weapons, King Rama IV’s personal things for daily life, Buddha images, sculptures and votive tablets of different times.
The museum is open everyday except Mondays, Tuesdays, and national holidays from 9.00 a.m.-4.00 p.m.(Admission fee : 100 Baht). For more information Tel : 0 3525 1586, 0 3525 2795