Sights & Attractions
DailyOperating time: 24 Hour
Ancient Town of Kanchanaburi Ancient Town of Kanchanaburi
located in Tambon Lat Ya between Km. 2 – 3 on Highway 3199 off Highway 323
Category : Village, Community, Historical Sites & Monuments
Attraction Details :
Ancient Town of Kanchanaburi is located in the area of Lad Ya Sub-district. Visitors can get here by taking a highway number 323 and then turn to a highway number 3199. Keep going straight until you pass by the kilometer markers number 2 and 3. This area was once being a fortress that barred Myanmar troop from getting close to Chedi Sam Ong from the early Ayuttaya period until the early Rattanakosin period (from 1548 to 1784). Presently, there are still remains of the soil wall with the size of 167 x 355 meters and four bulwarks on every side of the corners.
The archaeological sites in the nearby area are as follows:
Wat Pa Lelai is the temple that was built in Ayuttaya period. The locals mostly call this temple by the name of Wat Pa Aok. This is because, previously, there is a Buddha image in the attitude of subduing Mara placed inside the monk's living quarters. Unfortunately, this Buddha image got drill by people who sneaked into the place, so, the temple was named Wat Pa Aok after this incident. Later, the folks tried to make a Buddha image in the attitude of Pa Lelai to replace the old broken one. The ancient remains in the area of the temple include the monk's living quarters, the sanctuary and the brick pagoda.
Wat Khun Paen is situated nearby Wat Pa Lelai by taking a route which heads to Survey camp of Chulalongkorn University. The temple was built in Ayuttaya period and the stupa is counted as a highlight of the place. The ancient remains in the area of the temple include stupa, hall of a temple and pagoda. But, presently, you can only spot the stupa.
Wat Mae Mai was built in Ayuttaya period. It is located 300 meters far from Wat Khun Paen to the east. The ancient remains in the place are divided into two groups; the north group includes a circle shape pagoda and a square shape sanctuary, the south group includes a pagoda, Chedi Rai and a glass wall enclosed the area. There is a bone-washed sink situated between these two zones. Besides, Wat Nang Pim or the old Kanchanaburi temple is also situated nearby the site.