Mrigadayavan Palace, the Elegant Diamond of Cha-am Beach
“The Palace of Love and Hope” is on the coast of Cha-am Beach, Phetchaburi Province facing the sea. King Rama VI ordered Hat Chao Samran Palace to be demolished and built the Mrigadayavan Palace. The construction was finished in 1925. There was a diverse range of animals around the palace especially deer therefore, the king announced this palace would be an animal sanctuary named Mrigadayavan Palace which means the land of deer.
Mrigadayavan Palace is made of golden teak in the western style. There are three connecting thrones. The three thrones are Samut Phiman Hall (the throne of King Rama VI including a big building with bedrooms, dressing rooms, work room, bathrooms, dining rooms, and the Queen Suwattana’s room), Phisan Sakon Hall (the ladies ’ quarter) and Samoson Sewakamat Hall (the theater and rendezvous). There are sea views from each of the throne rooms.
Mrigadayavan Palace is looked after by the Foundation of Mrigadayavan Palace under Her Royal Highness Princess Bejaratana. The palace was built with the aim to match the landscape and climate. The high ceilings of the building provide ample sunlight and sea breezes. The ceilings were made of reinforced concrete to be strong and wind resistant.
After the end of King Rama VI era, the palace was deserted for about forty years. It took eleven years to renovate and restore the palace to its former glory.
Around Mrigadayavan Palace, there are the projects of the King and the royal family such as Huay Sai Development Study Center (the King’s project), Hub Kapong (the Queen’s Project), Herb Garden (the King Mother’s project), and Sirindhorn Park.
Mrigadayavan Palace Rama VI Camp, Huay Sai Nua Sub-district Cha-am District, Phetchaburi Province Contact No. 0-3247-1388 www.phetchaburi.go.th/data/praram.htm