Chang Lom temple
Chang Lom temple is situated at the foot of the Phanom Phloeng mountain range. Parts of a message engraved on King Ram Kamhaeng’s stone inscription indicates that, “…in 1892, the year of the pig, there was a command to unearth the Lord Buddha’s relics. The worship and sacrifice lasted for a month and six days. Then the relics were installed in the city of Sri Satchanalai with great respect. It took twelve months for the construction of the pagoda to be completed, and another six months for the surrounding wall.” Scholars hypothesize that the pagoda mentioned must be the principle pagoda in Chang Lom temple.
This enormous pagoda of red clay laterite brick is built in a spherical shape on a three-step square base. The first level comprises of high relief sculptures of thirty-nine elephants made of laterite soil, with a lamppost soaring between each of the elephants. The second base is a circumambulation space surrounded by a rail of laterite balustrades. The third, which is attached to the pagoda, houses a small shrine holding the Buddha images created during the reign of King Ram Kanhaeng. At the front entrance, there are stairs ascending to a circumambulation space and the pagoda on the top. Close together stretches a low wall that encircles the principle pagoda. There are entrances at the front and rear, but the ones at each side are not real. The area beyond the wall includes the platform of the grand assembly hall, ruins of stupas, and another assembly hall of a smaller size. Archaeologists assume that previously the broad pathway to the assembly hall and the principle pagoda must have been paved with laterite brick because during the first restoration in 1957 they found a considerable number of those bricks scattering around the ground by the assembly hall.