The architecture of the Front Palace
At the present, Chandrakasem Palace has been transformed into a national museum displaying antiques and historical objects found from Ayudhya period. The place used to be the front palace and the rersidence of the King’s son, the crown prince of Ayudhya Kingdom.
Apart from the Front Palace, Ayudhya Kingdom also had two more palaces; the Royal Palace and the Back Palace. The Royal Palace was resided by the King and the Back Palace was the house of other members of the royal family.
The Front Palace was built by King Thammaracha to be the residence for his son, Prince Naresuan, in the year 1577. The Front Palace became the residence for the person who would next inherit the throne including King Baromakote and King Narai. The Front Palace was severely damaged during the Burmese invasion of 1767, partially because of its close proximity to Mahchai Fortress where the city walls were breached. It was later renovated by King Rama IV. Jaturamook Pavillion and Piman Rattanaya Throne-Hall were also added to the place, which was renamed to Chandrakasem Palace, on March 26th, 1853. Currently, the palace showcases a wide variety of Ayudhya and Rattanakosin antiques.
Location: Ou-Thong Road, near Hua Ror Market, Ayudhya
What to see: Jaturamook Pavillion was a half-teakwood-half-concrete building decorated in traditional Thai style with the whole set of complete gable apex. The roof is delicately tiled with the exquisite Chinese carved tiles. This building contains antiques such as old Buddha images, ancient weaponry, and royal utensils.
Piman Rattanaya Throne-Hall is a group of 4 buildings constructed in western style. The front of each building faces an open area in the middle. Today, these buildings display antiques such as traditional craftworks, altar tables, and royal thrones.
Pisaisunluck tower is a 4-story tower initially built by King Narai. It was later renovated by King Rama IV to be an observatory tower.
Mahat Thai Building, a one-story teakwood structure, was built in the period of Phraya Boran Rachatanin as the government office. Several rooms in this building are used to show celadon utensils and traditional five-colored Thai ceramics.