08.00 - 16.30Contact Details
This temple is on Sihanatbamrung Road next to the morning market, AmphoeMueang, Mae Hong Son
Wat Hua Wiang
Wat Hua Wiang is located at no. 15, on Singhanat Bamrung Road in Chong Kham Sub District, Muang District, Mae Hong Son Province. The temple is next to Muang Mae Hong Son municipal market. Contact Number is 053-612003.
Built in 1863, the temple has over one hundred year old. It was the second temple built in Mae Hong Son. The name ‘Hua Wiang’ means ‘province’. In the past, the northern area of the temple was covered with forests and mountains, from where the wooden pillars of the temple’s sermon hall came. At present, all of the area is comprised of houses.
Wat Hua Wiang is located at the heart of Mae Hong Son city. The temple has Shan architectural features. It houses Phra Mahamuni or Phra Chao Plalakaeng. There is a large sermon hall inside. At the beginning, seven buildings were built and expanded separately by different believers. Five Buddha images were also built and placed the sermon hall. The main Buddha image of the temple is housed here. Created in 1877, the statue is 3 meter wide and 3.25 meter tall.
Wat Hua Wiang has been an important and respectable temple of Mae Hong Son for a long time. The old seven sermon halls were demolished in 1972. The construction of the current sermon hall was started in January 1973 and was completed in August 1974. Period of construction totaled one year and eight months. The celebration was held from February 22-25, 1975. The construction of this new sermon hall cost 996,965.35 baht, which came from donations of people near and far, Phra Muni (Phra Chao Plalakaeng) worship and subsidy from Department of Religious Affairs. In 1983, a new room was added to the north of the sermon hall. The room is 4 meter wide and 32 meter long. The construction cost around 200,000 baht. The temple is the center of Mae Hong Son Province where people come to organize various activities. For instance, it serves as an election unit for elections of members of municipal council, Provincial Council and the parliament. It also hosts the monthly assembly of civil boy scouts and frequent meetings of bhikshu leaders from Muang District and Mae Hong Son Province or from other districts and provinces.
An important event of the temple is the arrival of Phra Mahamuni (Phra Chao Plalakaeng) from Mandalay, Burma. Uncle Jongphoya and Uncle Jongwunna travelled to bring the Buddha image, which was separated in nine parts in the way it was casted, in a boat along Pai River. The image was assembled at Wat Phra Norn. It was then housed at Wat Hua Wiang and became an important and respectable image of Buddha for Mae Hong Son people.
Important attractions at Wat Hua Wiang
1. The five Buddha images are ancient statues. The largest image is situated in the middle, facing east. The image was created in 1863. The second large image is in front of the largest and the other three smaller images are placed in the northside, two of which facing south and another facing north.
2. Vihan PlalaKaeng was built to house Phra Plalakeang. The vihan is comprised of two prasats with spire. The larger building has a square shape of 1,850 meter width and length and is 15 meter high. The building is built from wood with cement flooring for the ground floor. The interior floor is paved with tiles of different patterns. The roof has three tiers with a dome top and is covered with zinc. Each zinc tier is decorated with carving patterns. The smaller vihan is located in the east. Built in a style similar to the larger vihan, it is assumed to be built together but with more elaboration. The building has five-tier roofing, excluding the dome top and the tiered umbrella. It is 6.40 meter wide and 8.30 meter long. The smaller vihan is called ‘A-Yong Kham’ in Chan language, which signifies ‘reception area’. The wood for building this small prasat was a donation from Uncle Sangwisa, while Uncle Chongwunna paid for the labour. The construction head was Lung Mongnguai Praneetsin. It took two years for the construction to be completed. The materials used; zinc, colored glass and floor tiles, were brought from Burma.
3. Sala Chamseen is a wooden building with beautiful carved zinc roof. The wooden Shan pavilion was built during Rattanakosin era. The building was registered in the 177th chapter of the 98th volume of the Royal Gazette in October 1981. It was also listed an ancient site by Fine Arts Department.
4. The new ubosot was built in Shan-Burmese style. It is a concrete building with lifted and tiered roofing. The roof is covered with tiles which are decorated with carved zinc patterns.
In addition, there are the bell tower, some chedis and the school for dharma studies which are all interesting to visitors.